Lambourn Valley Railway header
stationheading
The Lambourn Valley Railway
Stations & Crossings
Newbury
The railway had arrived in Newbury some 50 years before any notion of a Valley line connecting it with Lambourn. The opening of the Didcot-Newbury-Southampton route through from Didcot in 1882 and on to Winchester in 1885 saw many additional trains now using the platforms. December 1897 saw the completion of the Lambourn Valley line – as least far as the outskirts of Newbury. Pearson's was engaged by the GWR to continue the branch into the station, the track running parallel to the main line and into a bay at the western end of the platform.
Photo : Unknown
Photo : Unknown
Rebuilding work at Newbury station  - 1906  to 1909
The new 'up' side building after completion
The green light for the station rebuilding was granted in 1906 at an estimated cost of £60,000. It allowed for – among many other changes – two platform loops either side of the main line and bay platforms, with those on the up side to cater for Lambourn, Didcot & Reading services. The rebuilt station was furnished with new brick buildings and a covered footbridge, and was completed in the summer of 1909. Within two years of completion of this project, further additions were made, including an extension of the run-around alongside the Lambourn bay to form a van shoot and horse unloading facility. This new platform was 110 feet in length.
Photo : P.J. Garland
Photo : Pearson Collection
Photo : T. Middlemass Photo : J. Smith
Photo : R.S. Carpenter Collection Photo : H.C.Casserley
Photo: R.M Casserley
 
Photo R.S. Carpenter Collection Photo : J. Smith
Diesel railcar number 18  seen from the bay platform 
A later, post 1945 Swindon built railcar sits on the Lambourn Bay
Photo : D.B Clayton Photo : R.S. Carpenter
Photo : J.H Russell Photo : R. Denison
Water columns were sited in several areas at the station, providing the ability to supply locomotives either on the platforms or the through lines. Below right, an ex- MSWJ 2-4-0 rattles through the station in March 1951. Below left, a Dean Goods hauling un-sheeted straw comes off the Lambourn branch just before passing Newbury West signal box.
Photo : P.J Garland Photo : R.S. Carpenter Collection
Photo : P.J Garland
A Dean Goods hauling a two-coach Lambourn working leaves the bay in 1950. The connection from the branch ran into the up platform loop. To the left of the last coach can be seen one of the linesman's huts. The other building nearby was used by the S & T Department for the storage of locking gear etc.  These two buildings replaced a single one near to the original East Junction signal box.
Photo  : Unknown
Looking East through Bartholomew Street bridge towards Newbury station.
The conventional chaired track work of the Lambourn line on the far side of the photo, had a much more modern appearance when viewed alongside the baulk road of the GWR's Berkshire & Hampshire main line
Photo : M.H Walshaw Photo : British Railways
Above: GWR railcar W18W with tail load, awaits departure for Lambourn. Above right: We can clearly see there was no physical connection between the Berks & Hants and Lambourn lines beyond the station. This view also vividly shows the Lambourn branch climbing steeply away from the main line.
 
Below: same spot, different years. Left: engine 2007 on the incline in 1936 heading an autocoach and two clerestory coaches. The brick bridge it has just passed under is Rockingham Road over bridge. Below right: Pannier Tank 4609 pulling a horse box and a single coach, photographed in June of 1957.
Photo : J. G. Dewing Photo : R.M. Casserley

photo : GW Trust
Above right: Probably around the late 1930's a former MSWJ 2-4-0 leaves Newbury bound for Lambourn. The first vehicle is an autocoach, consequently, this photo confirms that this type of vehicle was still in regular use on the line. A second vehicle and a vacuum-fitted van complete the line-up. The only access to the Lambourn line was via the turnout in the left forground of the photo
Above: Pannier tank loco 4606 sits patiently in the Lambourn bay, waiting to head the last service to Lambourn on a glorious day in May 1959. By this time, four down services and three up were all that remained of the once busier timetable. Departure time would have been 5.20pm with the train arriving at Lambourn terminus at 6.00pm. Just five minutes were timetabled for the engine to negotiate the runaround and embark on the return journey. The line itself would then drift into brief hibernation until Monday morning.

Photo : Unknown Photo : Unknown
photo : J.E Kite
The use of tender engines during the 1920s and 30s was mostly confined to Sundays. The crew would
decide whether or not they turned their locmotive at Newbury Racecourse on the way to Lambourn or on the return journey.
Photo : J. Smith Photo : David Canning
 
Two opposing shots of the Lambourn bay taken some thirty years apart.
 
Above left: the photo shows engine 2007 on the bay in or around 1937. Above right: David Cannings' study of that same bay in 1968. This area eventually evolved into the station car park.

Lambourn Valley Railway header