The Lambourn Valley Railway
How it all started
The idea of running a railway from Newbury to
not least as a way of boosting Lambourn's declining agricultural
trade, emerged much earlier than the eventual construction of the
Lambourn Valley Railway.
The Newbury and Lambourn
Tramway Company was formed in late 1873. A 3ft gauge single track would
be laid at the side of the main road, with several short branches
within Newbury. It was to be horse-drawn, the vehicle making two round
trips daily at first. The cost was estimated at £30,000 and an
authorising Act was obtained on 7th August 1875, with one year allowed
for construction. A contract for construction was let and a first rail
was ceremonially fixed. However, subscribers did not come forward
and shares to the value of £4,000 only were taken up. The year expired
and the company was wound up.
After one or two attempts to get authorisation for a light railway, an
authorising Act was obtained on 2 August 1883. The Lambourn Valley
Railway Company was incorporated, capital £100,000. It was to be a
single line, heavy not light railway, built using the standard
gauge. The estimated cost of infrastructure was £80,530.
The Company then needed to raise capital to start construction,
although by January 1885 only £23,365 had been subscribed. After a
number of engineers had been hired and left, more time allowed through
new Acts and land acquired, all draining away the Company's precious
capital. Eventually, the contractor S Pearson & Son of Westminster
offered to complete the work for £33,000. A contract was agreed on 30
LVR also concluded an agreement with the GWR to join the line at
Newbury. This involved the GWR building both a bay platform -
Platform 3 - with run-around loop on the northern side of the station,
and the line out towards Lambourn as far as 1,000 yards west of Newbury
Station, which is where the branch line would diverge fom the main
line. The GWR charged £6,000 for this work, plus an annual charge of
£25 for use of the bay platform and £50 for use of the tracks across
the marshy West Fields.
The track itself consisted of
spiked, flat-bottomed rail for the whole 12 miles and 32 chains, which
became one of the longest single-track lines in the south of England.
Operated on the single-engine-in-steam principle, the LVR saved money
by deciding that signals were unnecessary, as were any form of
communications between stations via telephone.
and rolling stock
winter of 1897-98 found the LVR facing not only the problem of
achieving the completion of general construction work on time, but also
the problem of acquiring locomotives and rolling stock. The company
successfully negotiated the hire of a loco from the GWR.
It was this arrangement with the Great Western that saw the arrival of
No.1384, a 2-4-0 ST built by Sharp, Stewart & Co. in 1876. This
locomotive would work the services for the first few months of
operations, giving the newly formed LVR company a breathing space until
its own power units could be purchased.
GWR, however, was not in favour of supplying rolling stock and its
decision not to do so left the LVR with a major problem. The Chairman
of the company, Colonel Archer Houblon, came to the rescue by
purchasing four four-wheeled carriages himself and hiring them to the
LVR. They were acquired at a cost of £1,300 and each coach carried a
plate proclaiming Col. Archer Houblon as the owner. After an agreed
number of payments had been realised, they would ultimately become the
property of the LVR.
Above left: Each
carriage had both 1st and 2nd class compartments and a total seating
capacity of 32 persons. Second-class seating was of wooden construction
and demanded a fare rate of roughly 1d a mile. The coaches had a
central gangway with platforms at both ends. These platforms were
fitted with wrought-iron safety railings and allowed the guard to walk
the length of the train while it was in motion. The coaches were 26
feet 6 inches in length and were fitted with a vacuum brake.
Above right: Former East
Garston resident, the late Francis Worrell Kibblewhite Pounds enjoying
the view from
one of the four LVR Carraiges.
stock amounted to six second-hand GWR wagons acquired at a cost of
£91:10s:0d (£91.50). A further 12
pre-used wagons were obtained from the Metropolitan Railway Carriage
and Wagon Co. for £189. These were all
funded by Col. Archer Houblon and subject to the same type of agreement
as the four carriages.
The senior officers for the
LVR at this time were Mr. W.H.H M
Gipps, General Manager; Mr. J.S. MacIntyre, Engineer; and Mr. H. Holmes, Company Secretary. All
three individuals were instrumental in aiding the completion of the
railway and would play an important part in its future operations. In
addition to the General Managership of the LVR, Mr. Gipps was also the
traffic manager for the nearby Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway.
Valley Railway opens for business
On 31st March
1898, the Board of Trade inspection of The Lambourn Valley railway took
Officer Col. Yorke
declared that, subject to a speed limit of 25 miles an hour and axle
loadings not exceeding 8 tons, the opening of the railway was approved.
The private opening was set for Saturday 2nd April 1898, with the
full public opening the following Monday, 4th April.
And so it was that at 10.30am, the inaugural train consisting of engine
1384 and four LVR carriages stood in the new bay platform at Newbury
station. The loco itself was bedecked in evergreens, festooned with
flags, and a picture of the Queen was mounted on the front just above
Note the engine shed, which did not survive for long.
invited dignitaries were duly welcomed by Colonel Archer-Houblon before
being ushered to their places on board. A few minutes after 11am the
guard called "Take your seats please", and at 11.10am the first
official passenger-carrying train departed for Lambourn terminus.
South Berkshire M.P. Mr. G Mount was aboard, his
duty being to open the line officially on arrival at the terminus. Both
he and Mr Gipps made the journey on the footplate along with the driver
and fireman. Just 37 minutes after leaving Newbury, the train arrived
in Lambourn welcomed by a celebratory peal of bells from the parish
church and music from a local brass band. Two further trips were
that day, each carrying around 80 fare-paying passengers.
Monday 4th April, full public services started, with five daily trains,
plus an additional trip on Saturday evenings. Over 900 passengers were
carried during the first week of scheduled operations. With regard to
freight and livestock traffic, the horse-racing industry was first to
reap the benefits of the new line: within days of opening, horses were
being carried in quantity using boxes hired from the Great Western
the line was now operational there were still several items that
required completion, including a loading stage at Great Shefford,
the platform at Stockcross and a small carriage shed, coal stage and
siding at Lambourn itself. Early June saw the finalisation of this
work, construction was brought to an end and the contractors duly paid
A timetable for 1899 has survived, and shows that
the LVR operated a stopping passenger service from Lambourn of four
trains a day for six days a week, departing at 7:45am, 12:10pm
(mixed), 3:00pm and 6:05pm (mixed). On Thursdays and Saturdays,
additional trains were inserted into the timetable, at 10:25am and
12:30pm to provide services for local market days, these services
replacing the 12:10pm mixed train, which did not run.
From Newbury, the balancing services
9:20am (mixed), 1:40pm, 4:20pm (mixed) and 7:20pm. The Thursday and
Saturday market day specials ran at 9:00am and 11:28am, replacing the
9:20am mixed train.
The timetable showed connecting services
destinations such as Oxford and Didcot, in addition to far-flung
places like Liverpool, Manchester and London. It was also a wealth of
ancillary information regarding fares for children, luggage and
bicycle charges, market tickets, workmens' tickets and more.
Please click image to enlarge
children between the ages of 3 and 12
half-fare, and any luggage over 100lb (45kg) in weight (120lb or 54kg
in first class) was a chargeable item – presumably to cater for the
additional time the porter would need to fetch a trolley. Travelling
with a bicycle cost a princely shilling (5p). Meanwhile, second-class
passengers from Lambourn paid less on market days too, via the LVR's
issuance of Cheap Market Tickets (return only) on the 10:25am and
12:30pm trains on Thursdays, and the 2:00pm train on Saturdays.
Five years on,
change was in the air. On 14th July 1903, General
Manager Mr. Gipps died after a brief illness and was replaced by Sidney
Woodley. Mr. Woodley's appointment was set to start on 5th September
1903. Around this time, the GWR enquired about the possibility of
taking over the line. The offer price was £45,000 and was reported at
the time to have been greeted with some surprise by the Board of
Directors. As the Board was still optimistic about the future of
the LVR, the offer was politely declined.
Towards the end of 1903, the service
was being operated by one engine in steam. While services continued to run (see an
1899 timetable here),
the financial situation was not good and was not improving. Once again,
in January 1904, the GWR approached the board with a slightly increased
take-over offer of £50,000 for the line and all its fixtures and
fittings. Again, on the advice of its Managing Director, J.B Squire,
the LVR rejected the deal. The business relationship between the two
railway companies remained very amicable, with the GWR suggesting that
the smaller company run its services using steam-powered railmotors as
opposed to the current set-up. The GWR offered to rent two railmotors
to the LVR for the total sum of £420 per year. The idea seemed an
attractive one and the LVR decided in favour of the proposed plan.
arrive - and disappear
3rd May 1904, the Board of Trade again inspected the line,
necessary because the axle loading of the railmotors came out at 12
tons and the line had previously been sanctioned only for 8 tons. All
was OK, and the railmotors started working the line on 15th May.
Locomotives continued to haul the goods services for a
further four weeks. Additional economies were made by removing the
lad porters from the intermediate stations and allocating ticket
collection duties to the guard.
15th June, LVR locomotives and rolling stock were withdrawn from
service and removed to Swindon to await auction. This event took place
in November 1904, and finally, Chairman Col. Archer Houblon could
recoup his original capital outlay. The LVR had a new Engineer, Mr. J.N
Taylor, succeeding Mr. MacIntyre who had resigned some weeks earlier.
Taylor oversaw the operation of the new railmotors and all worked as
planned over the first months. There was still talk of a GWR take-over
and on 7th November, an official announcement from GWR confirmed that
talks were indeed taking place. This time however, there would be no
increase in the previous offer price of £50,000.
early 1905, it was discovered that the unusually high chalk content in
the water supply at Lambourn was having an adverse effect on the power
output of the small-boilered rail motors. Their performance had
deteriorated to such a degree that they were struggling to haul tail
traffic, to the extent that it became necessary to return to
loco-hauled services for the last few months of independence. The loco
and carriages were again hired from the GWR. The LVR had come full
circle and was in a situation that did undoubtedly cause some degree of
embarrassment to its Board of Directors.
Modified railmotors returned to the line in
May 1905 and worked alongside locomotive power units where necessary.
with the GWR
in January 1905, approval had been given by both boards regarding the
amalgamation of the two companies and a date set for the official
take-over. The LVR line became a GWR line on the first of July 1905,
with most of the staff continuing their employment but under the GWR. A
final meeting was held by both boards at Paddington on 19th July 1905.
From that day, the independent Lambourn Valley Railway Company was no
more. The Great Western Railway Company now had the task of bringing
the line up to its own high exacting standards, reported at the time to
cost an estimated £75,000.
Lambourn Valley Railway header